Nicotine & Harm Reduction External Resource Library
There is an enormous body of research on the safety of nicotine and its role in tobacco harm reduction, which you can read about by following the links below.
Scientific Resources – Links to Abstracts
Journal articles will require logging in to their site to access the full text.
- Benowitz NL. Emerging nicotine delivery products. Implications for public health. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2014;11:231-235
- Stead LF, Perera R, Bullen C, Mant D, Hartmann-Boyce J, Cahill K, Lancaster T. Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2012;11:Cd000146.
- Le Houezec J, McNeill A, Britton J. Tobacco, nicotine and harm reduction. Drug & Alcohol Review. 2011;30:119-123.
- Murray RP, Connett JE, Zapawa LM. Does nicotine replacement therapy cause cancer? Evidence from the Lung Health Study. Nicotine Tob Res. 2009;11:1076-1082.
- Murray RP. Safety of Nicotine Polacrilex Gum Used by 3,094 Participants in the Lung Health Study. CHEST 1996;109:438.
- Royal College of Physicians. Harm reduction in nicotine addiction: helping people who can’t quit. A report by the Tobacco Advisory Group of the Royal College of Physicians. London: RCP, 2007.
- McNeill A, Brose LS, Calder R, Bauld L, Robson D. Evidence review of e-cigarettes and heated tobacco products 2018. A report commissioned by Public Health England. PHE, 2018.
Articles of Interest
- FDA Commissioner Dr. Gottlieb remarks on New Strategies for Tobacco Policy and Therapeutic Nicotine Replacement
- The Financial Times: Comment: Pragmatism on nicotine could save lives February 2017
- Royal College of Physicians: Nicotine without smoke: Tobacco harm reduction. RCP policy: public health 2016
- Gov.uk Press release : Four in 10 smokers incorrectly think nicotine causes cancer. Published 14 March 2018